Friday, July 10, 2009

Osmonds in Layton for rare Utah show; Jimmy Osmond reflects on friend Michael Jackson


In light of recent events, Jimmy Osmond feels especially blessed to be performing with brothers Merrill, Wayne and Jay at Layton's Kenley Centennial Amphitheater this weekend.

As it so happened, he spoke to the Standard-Examiner the day after Michael Jackson's death.

Osmond can't help but see many similarities in the Jacksons and the Osmonds, especially during their glory years as teen idols in the '70s.

"I also used to work for Michael," Osmond said, speaking from his home in Provo. Among his many businesses, the youngest Osmond brother owns theaters and manages tour productions. It was through the latter enterprise that Osmond got to know Jackson well.

"Michael and I got an opportunity to be more than just 'hi-'bye' guys. I actually brokered his Asian tours when he did his 'Bad' album, and we stayed in touch after that. He was a friend and I will miss him. It is quite a shock.

"And I know how important his family was to him -- like mine is to me. His family was there for him during some tough times. Frankly, I think the Jacksons are a lot more intact than people give them credit for."

MORE: Standard Examiner

No comments: