Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Jimmy Osmond's having a ball with Cinderella

International pop veteran Jimmy Osmond arrived in the county today for the final rehearsals for his panto debut, Cinderella. The former I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! contestant, who has been in the pop industry for 42 years, said he was delighted to be in the town and had even located his nearest McDonald's to make himself at home.

His first performance as Buttons in the pantomime, at Royal & Derngate in Guildhall Road, will be on Friday, his first panto role.

He said: "I'm still learning the lines. It's a little bit goofy but it's great for the kids. There is an energy about this production and with the economy the way it is I think everyone wants to forget their troubles, and this is a great way to do that.

"The whole style of pantomime is great. I want my kids to experience the fun that we don't experience in America.

"Americans just don't understand what pantomimes are, they just haven't seen it. It's very British, that's what I love about it."

He added: "Northampton is really great, I'm just finding my way around. I found the local McDonald's, and everyone has been so kind."

Acquiring star status as a boy with the family group, The Osmonds, Jimmy also became the youngest ever solo chart topper with his Number One hit, Long-haired Lover From Liverpool, recorded when he was nine in 1972.

He appeared on I'm A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! in 2005.

The cast of the pantomime also includes comedian Peter Piper as Baron Hardup, Danielle York as Cinderella, Ryan Dawson as Prince Charming, and Brian Godfrey and Darren Southworth as the Ugly Sisters.

And, to get into the true British spirit, Jimmy said he has even bought a Christmas tree.

He said: "I have only been here a day, but I feel like a proper British person. I have been out to get a Christmas tree for my four kids and my beautiful wife.

"I love the diversity and the whole culture and experience of being here."

EVENING TELEGRAPH

No comments: