Thursday, November 06, 2008

Osmond Genealogist Retires after more than 30 Years on Television


Clayton Brough, well-known for his “8-14 day” weather forecasts and one of the nation’s few “broadcast climatologists”, will retire from KTVX-ABC4 by the end of November, after spending more than 30 years on television and presenting thousands of weather forecasts.

Brough, who is 58 years old and survived cancer in 2004, says he recently made the decision to retire from television in an effort to “conserve my energy, preserve my health, and spend more time with my wife, children and grandchildren.”

Brough worked at KUTV-2 from 1978 to 1980. In July 1980, he began working full-time at KTVX-ABC4, and since 1986 he’s been Channel 4’s weekend climatologist and weather forecaster. His more than 28 years of weather broadcasting on one television station places him in a unique crowd--as only a few television anchors, weather forecasters or sportscasters have ever enjoyed such a long run on one television station.

Over the past thirty years, Brough has also worked as a full-time public education teacher, consulted and written extensively on Utah’s weather and climate, served as an adjunct university instructor in geography at Brigham Young University and the University of Utah, and been president of one of the world’s largest ancestral family history organizations. “After many years of working multiple jobs seven days a week, I’m getting older and slower,” Brough said, “and I want to spend more time with my wife and family, and pursue more family history work.” He says, “I will miss my television family, friends and viewers, and I greatly appreciate their years of support and encouragement; but I’m now putting my broadcasting days behind me, and I plan on spending the next several years teaching weather, climate and geography to my secondary and university students.”

Brough’s last day on KTVX-ABC4 will be Sunday evening, November 23, 2008.

Brough is married to a cousin of the Osmond Family, and he and his wife enjoy doing family geneaology together for both sides of their family.


No comments: