Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Why singles stay single longer -- conclusion

By Don Osmond
Monday, Apr. 19, 2010
Read all of Don's past columns here

We're closing the "singles staying single longer" topic at just about the right time. These past few articles kicked up the dust, and it doesn't look ready to settle just yet. Emotions are at a fever pitch, and I don't blame anyone.

Being single late in life (... and that's all relative) places burdens on some backs. It poses the question, "Why me?"

Left out of the proverbial circle of wedlock, we are filled with a gamut of emotion:

* Suspicion, "Am I going to get married?"
* Denial, "I don't need to be married"
* Resentment, "It's not my fault! He broke up with me."
* Guilt, "I missed a chance to be married"
* Self-hatred, "Why would anyone marry me?"

Amidst all of this, each of us finds our own reasons for staying single longer. We want to see the world. We want to accomplish lofty goals of success. We seek autonomy to fulfill our wildest dreams.

MORE @ MORMONTIMES

No comments: