Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Osmond wife makes her mark in SCERA’s 'Joseph'


Rebekah Osmond performing during in the final dress rehearsal of the play "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" on Thursday, July 30th. The play opens on the at the SCERA Shell Outdoor Theatre on the 31st and runs until the 15th.

OREM -- With more than 80 talented cast members doing their "thing" in the SCERA Shell Outdoor theater's current production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," it's pretty difficult to find a standout. However, by virtue of name recognition, four do. They're Osmonds -- and not one of them is male.

Rebekah Osmond, wife of Michael Osmond of the Osmond's Second Generation, and the couple's three daughters; Suzannah, 11, Sarah, 9, and Sasha, 8 are sharing the stage.

For Rebekah Osmond, being cast in "Joseph" is like life repeating itself.

"It just feels like I have come full circle," Rebekah said. "Ten years ago I was on tour with 'Joseph.' We had two babies on tour. I was playing in the ensemble."

She remembers being on tour with the Second Generation Osmond boys who were cast as title character Joseph's brothers in the national tour. It was great family bonding time because they shared so much time together on and off stage.

Now Rebekah Osmond is cast as one of three lead narrator roles in SCERA's production. She says it's her dream role. Her daughters are part of the children's chorus and ensemble.

"Every time I see them on stage I cry," she said. "When we go home after rehearsal, they pretend to be the narrators."

The production's narration is shared between Rebekah Osmond, Shoni Winkel and Stephanie Lewis. Rebekah says she is inspired by the threesome's tight harmonies on stage and the friendships they've developed.

"I used to sing tight harmonies with my sisters," she said. "It reminds me of them."

The Osmond connection to "Joseph" is so big, it is almost a part of the family's trademark. Donny Osmond played Joseph for six years in London. David Osmond, Rebekah's brother-in-law, toured with the North American Tour and a year later was joined by the other brothers of the Second Generation, including Michael, alongside Rebekah Osmond. Most recently David reprised a performance of "Joseph" May 25-June 7 with the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera company.

Nathan Osmond, one of David's brothers, remembers when the brothers were performing with David at Kingsbury Hall in Salt Lake City.

"I went straight from the plane landing from my mission to Kingsbury Hall. The first time I saw David after my mission he had long hair and was wearing a loin cloth," Nathan said. "The first night home most missionaries are showing pictures. I was learning songs."

With all that name recognition, Rebekah Osmond says she feels the pressure to be on top of her game each night.

"I feel like I have a lot to live up to. I feel required to give 100 percent, and more so, because it's 'Joseph,' " she said. "People expect perfection from Osmonds."

"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" plays Mondays and Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. through Aug. 15 at the SCERA Shell Outdoor Theater, 699 S. State St., Orem. For more information, call (801) 225-2569.



Genelle Pugmire - Correspondent
Daily Herald


1 comment:

Forwards Fun! said...

I thought Donny played most of those six years in Chicago?