Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don Osmond: Stay true to yourself

I watched Disney's Mulan the other night. The final scene concludes with a song titled "True to Your Heart." Listening to the words got me thinking. "Am I being true to my heart?" Or, in other words, "Am I being true to myself?" This question isn't unique to me, we all have outward pressures to be what we think the world expects of us.

Nowhere is this more true than in the singles' scene. First dates are riddled with getting-to-know-you questions, and if you've been blessed to experience your 100th first date, you've probably got answers polished with quips. You are a connoisseur of conversation; a wizard of wit; a dater debonair.

But, I talked with a few of my friends about the continual monotonous meetings, be they casual or fancy. Sometimes you may feel as though you've lost your identity by trying to pretend to be someone you are not; responding to questions with answers just to cater to the interests of someone else. How often have we tried to change ourselves just to get someone to like us? How often do we look upon the outward appearance rather than our hearts?

MORE: MORMON TIMES

No comments: